If you have decided to get professional help for substance use disorder (SUD), you may be a bit nervous about beginning treatment, especially if it is your first time. To help you feel more comfortable starting treatment for SUD, it helps to know what is involved in an outpatient addiction treatment program.
If you are considering SUD treatment, the following information can help put your mind at ease. There are comfortable, welcoming treatment facilities staffed by caring professionals who are dedicated to your healthy recovery. Use the tips below to help you narrow down your search for an addiction treatment center, then reach out to your top choice with any additional questions you may have about what to expect at rehab.
How to Get Started at an Outpatient Addiction Treatment Center
If you know that you need support overcoming a substance use disorder but cannot commit to an inpatient residential treatment program, an outpatient addiction treatment program may be perfect for your needs. Sometimes, the hardest part about your recovery is admitting you have a problem and that you need to accept help. Many treatment centers try to make getting started with treatment as simple and stress-free as possible, so nothing stands in the way of your decision to get professional treatment. If you are not sure where to begin, here are some tips to getting started with treatment at an outpatient addiction treatment center:
- Consider the type of program that would work best for you. There are several types of outpatient treatment programs that vary by level of care. For the most immersive experience, look for a partial hospitalization program. If you can manage with more flexible treatment, you may choose a traditional outpatient or intensive outpatient program.
- If you have been diagnosed with or suspect you may have a mental health condition like anxiety or depression, search for treatment centers that offer dual diagnosis programs. These programs treat substance use disorders and mental health disorders concurrently for optimal results.
- The cost of treatment may naturally be of concern when choosing a treatment center. Each center accepts different types of health insurance and offers different payment plans. To keep treatment affordable, find treatment centers that accept your insurance or offer a manageable payment plan. Many centers now also accept Medicaid, making SUD treatment accessible to all.
Once you have found a treatment program suitable for your needs, the next step is to reach out. You can give them a call or chat with a representative through their website, whichever makes you feel most comfortable. Be prepared for the possibility of immediate intake, as many treatment centers aim to expedite the process and get you in for treatment as soon as possible.
What Are the Benefits of Outpatient Addiction Treatment?
If you are unsure which type of SUD treatment program would work best for you, it helps to understand the benefits of outpatient addiction treatment over an inpatient program. Receiving outpatient treatment for substance use disorder offers the following advantages:
- Convenience – You will typically visit the treatment center one to five days a week for sessions. Evening and weekend sessions may be available to make it easier to accommodate your work or childcare schedule.
- Treatment options – Outpatient treatment is offered at various care levels, ranging from traditional outpatient to partial hospitalization programs.
- Affordability – Outpatient programs tend to be more cost-effective since you do not reside at the center throughout treatment.
- Support for long-term recovery – Outpatient treatment allows plenty of opportunities to practice your new coping skills and relapse prevention techniques in the outside world. These programs can also connect you with support beyond the treatment center, including 12-step groups and peer recovery support programs.
The above benefits provide a winning combination for your successful SUD treatment.
Start Your Recovery with Outpatient Addiction Treatment
If you or someone you love needs help with substance use disorder, use the tips here to help you locate the best outpatient addiction treatment program in your area. Outpatient treatment can help you recover without interfering with your work and home responsibilities, making it the ideal treatment choice for many people. Reach out to your local outpatient treatment center to find a program that best suits your recovery needs.